Monday, May 10, 2010

The End of This Blog

The end of this blog is nigh. Allow to me explain.

In short, I've decided to consolidate my internet presence down as much as possible. I have 3 or 4 blogs, not to mention a facebook, 4 Myspaces, 4 Twitter accounts, and, it seems, 234,432 websites to maintain. It has come to my attention that, these days, the Internet values quality more than quantity. So to that end, I will be terminating this blog. The information posted will remain, but new tech-related posts will go on to my (ONE!) remaining blog, Scamwagon - which was formally relegated exclusively to political and consumer rants.

Instead of creating separate blogs for each of the crazy interests I have (cars, music, computers, to name a few), you'll be able to find all of my posts on one, single blog site. Wow, look at all the added value already!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Terastation Followup

I thought I'd follow up my last post on my troubled Terastation. I replaced the power supply, only to find that it still shutdown a few minutes after turning on. I finally determined that this was happening as a result of a corrupt operating system. The Terastation apparently responds to a failed bootup by turning off. I attempted several times to replace the firmware (a great opportunity to try using a telnet enabled firmware), but the device kept shutting down before the firmware update could complete.

After resolving that I didn't care about the data that was on the drives (I had already recovered it, see last post), I figured out an approach that worked. I took each drive and connected to a linux booted computer (I used a Knoppix live CD). Each time, I went into fdisk and observed that there didn't appear to be any partitions. Regardless, I created a partition (the type doesn't matter), and then deleted it - leaving no partitions again. After completing this for all 4 drives, I reassembled the Terastation and was able to execute the firmware update with no problem.

After the firmware update was complete, there was no data on the drives - but my config info was somehow intact! I was surprised, they must store it in flash or NVRAM. The only thing I had to do was reset the language to english, which involved a lot backflips and screwing around, until I found that article.

So now I have a fully functioning, blank Terastation that is telnet enabled and has the latest firmware! Exciting, now I just need to come up with a cool project for it - or more likely I will just put my data back onto it, as it's a little annoying having my desktop as the server for the house.